Sunday, August 19, 2007
This weekend I made some Peach Jam using peaches from the fruit share of our CSA. The jam is delicious but it didn't solidify as nicely as the blackberry jam did. I think the problem is in the quantities. The recipe called for 4 cups of chopped peaches (3 pounds). But when I cut up my peaches, I had closer to 6 cups, I think, but it only weighed about 2.5 pounds. So that didn't make sense, but I just followed the recipe as it was anyway using all the peaches. I think the problem is that there were too many peaches. I probably could have cooked it a bit longer, but I don't think that would have made much of a difference. Anyway, if I put it in the refrigerator, it gets a little more jelled and it's not so runny that you can't put it on toast or scones. I also took some advice and just turned the jars upside down after filling them and I let them cool like that overnight. This morning they were all sealed and everything and I never had to process them in a hot water bath or anything. So it looks like I'll be able to store them outside of the refrigerator. We'll see!
Posted by Andrew J at 4:51 PM