Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Blackberry Jam

Last Friday we stopped by Chad's grandmother's house for a little while with the rest of Chad's family and picked blackberries from the bushes all along the side of her house. Between Chad, me, and the four sisters, we picked blackberries for about 15 minutes or so until we got all the ripe ones. It amounted to about 3.5 cups (I know, it doesn't seem like a lot but it actually was). I decided to try to make jam with them, so before starting the night's cleaning, I followed a recipe (sort of) from the package of Pectin I bought. It made 5 jars of jam and I think it tastes pretty good although it hasn't completely cooled and solidified yet. It's very sweet, but it definitely tastes like blackberries. I'm so excited and it was really quite easy! We're going to go back and pick more sometime when the other berries ripen. Woohoo.

4 comments:

  1. Let's make scones for your jam!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make scones and mail me some! I love scones. I have a little bit of an obsession with jams, preserves, and such. I always buy a ton of them at little roadside stands and now our pantry is filled with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Unfortunately, I didn't can these properly, so they need to be refrigerated. Once I figure out how to seal them, I'll send some (or bring some) to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to seal it with wax...melt paraffin and pour over the jam.

    ReplyDelete