Sunday, August 19, 2007

Peach Jam

This weekend I made some Peach Jam using peaches from the fruit share of our CSA. The jam is delicious but it didn't solidify as nicely as the blackberry jam did. I think the problem is in the quantities. The recipe called for 4 cups of chopped peaches (3 pounds). But when I cut up my peaches, I had closer to 6 cups, I think, but it only weighed about 2.5 pounds. So that didn't make sense, but I just followed the recipe as it was anyway using all the peaches. I think the problem is that there were too many peaches. I probably could have cooked it a bit longer, but I don't think that would have made much of a difference. Anyway, if I put it in the refrigerator, it gets a little more jelled and it's not so runny that you can't put it on toast or scones. I also took some advice and just turned the jars upside down after filling them and I let them cool like that overnight. This morning they were all sealed and everything and I never had to process them in a hot water bath or anything. So it looks like I'll be able to store them outside of the refrigerator. We'll see!

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh, sounds so scrumptious! Maybe the recipe meant 3 lbs. of whole peaches, with the pit and all. Although I don't know how much of a difference that would make in terms of the weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that was the problem. It probably meant 3 pounds before pealing and pitting. I think I had closer to 4 lbs so that would explain it. It doesn't really matter though because it's still tasty! I want to bring you some, but I don't think we're going to check any bags, and you can't carry that on the plane. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Checking a bag to go to Nashville is sooo easy. The Nashville airport is the best one I've ever been to. Your bags are ALWAYS just waiting for you when you get to the baggage terminal. They made everything so easy; it's such a nice, Southern, and civilized airport. So if you want to check a bag, you should. Just a heads up!

    ReplyDelete