Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Unique Birthday Cake

My wonderful office- mate, Heather, baked a cake for my birthday (and Tim, another co-worker whose birthday is the same day) yesterday (Oct. 3). She meant to make a chocolate pumpkin cake, but halfway through making the recipe realized there was no chocolate . . . So, it ended up being a lovely pumpkin cake with walnuts and a very nice icing/glaze on top. The really unique thing about the cake was that since Heather didn't have any toothpicks at home (who doesn't have toothpicks?!?!?), she used some dried noodles to hold up the plastic wrap away from the icing! Sometimes I seriously wonder about that girl ... definitely crafty and creative, but .... who doesn't have toothpicks!?!? Haha. Sorry, Heather.

(Note: This is my photo from Wednesday, October 3, 2007.)

12 comments:

  1. You know, I'm not sure if we have any toothpicks. I remember cleaning some off the floor of the pantry...I think one of the cats knocked them over or something and now the toothpicks are no longer with us. Silly cats.

    It was sweet of Heather to make you a cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was sweet of Heather to make you a cake. I think we always have toothpicks because we lived in Japan and they have cool ones there...also, a lot of places we ate had toothpicks at the table. We got used to having them around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have toothpicks! The dried pasta idea was genius. That cake looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe how many people are reading this and saying "we don't have toothpicks!" Don't you people make brownies?!?! Haha. It must be a Japan thing ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can stick a fork or a knife in brownies instead! That's what Steph (our resident brownie maker) does.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No no no, that causes too much damage! And plus, the mix doesn't adhere to other materials like it does to wood. I need to use toothpicks to do brownies right. Haha, I'm a total freak, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The damage is nothing compared to the damage we do once the brownies are out of the oven. Usually a pan of brownies lasts less than 24 hours in our house; that's why we try not to make them often. But they taste so good!

    Wild Oats is having a big sale at the end of the month...40% off everything in the store, to prepare to close when the Whole Foods opens. I'll pick up some of your precious toothpicks then. Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huh. You said "adhere."

    Besdides, brownies are better if they are underdone so I just take them out early anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have toothpicks.....

    Adair

    ReplyDelete
  10. What am I gonna do with you people?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you Andrew...how can people live without toothpicks????

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh...Andrew, are you going to have a toothpick fit when you come and stay at my place? I can run out and buy you toothpicks, if you'd like.

    ;p
    Adair

    ReplyDelete